I can’t believe 2014 is almost over. To commemorate the end of the year and the beginning of my blog I am posting my top 50 pop/pop-ish songs of the year. At the end of every year I always list the songs that moved me, made me dance or that I just couldn’t get out of my head:
50. QT – Hey QT
49. Mia Maestro & Damien Rice – Time to Go
48. Ximena Sariñana – Sin Ti No Puede Estar Tan Mal
47. Paloma Faith – Only Love Can Hurt Like This
46. Gold Fields – Hold Me
45. Eli Lieb – Young Love
44. Melanchloé – Angels & Insects
43. Little Daylight – Mona Lisa
42. Ingrid Michaelson – Girls Chase Boys
41. Hozier- Take Me To Church
40. Chromeo Feat. Solange – Lost On The Way Home
39. Seinabo Sey – Younger
38. Meiko – Wake Up
37. Atlas Bound – Soul
36. Katy Boy – Open Fire
35. Flo Morrissey – Pages of Gold
34. Juanes – La Luz
33. Tori Amos- Selkie
32. St. Lucia – Out Tonight
31. CLAZZIQUAI PROJECT – 내게 돌아와(Still I’m by Your Side)
30. Sam Smith – Like I Can
29. Shakira – Nunca Me Acuerdo de Olvidarte
28. The Ting Tings – Wrong Club
27. Naughty Boy & Bastille – No One’s Here To Sleep
26. DJ Snake & Lil Jon – Turn Down for What
25. Mary Lambert – So Far Away
24. Bold Gold – I Want To Guard You from Boredom
23. RuPaul- Sissy That Walk
22. Alesso – Heroes (we could be)
21. Clean Beat Feat. Jess Glynne – Rather Be (All About She Remix)
20. Broods – Bridges
19. St. Vincent – Digital Witness
18. Jesse Ware – You & I (Forever)
17. Jesse & Joy – Mi Tesoro
16. Lily Allen – Our Time
15. The Shoe – Paper Cup
14. Kiesza – No Enemiesz
13. Madi Diaz – Tomorrow
12. CHVRCHES – Dead Air
11. Röyksopp & Robyn – Do It Again
10. Zola Jesus – Dangerous Days
9. Yelle – Complètement fou
8. How To Dress Well – Repeat Pleasure
7. Lykke Li – Gunshot
6. VÉRITÉ – Weekend
5. Ji Nilsson – Heartbreakfree
+ Thank god there was that article about Gwen Stefani “ripping off” Ji Nilsson for her newest single. It led me to discover my favorite new pop artist of the year. The early 00’s drum beat combined with her sultry R&B vocals lead to one of the most fun dance throwbacks of the year.
4. Dami Im – Gladiator
+ Dami’s bold vocals speak for themselves. Her powerhouse pipes reign supreme in this sanguine love ballad. Hopefully this South Korean/Australian who won Australia’s X Factor last year can translate her success stateside. Pop music can always use more classy divas when the big shots of the 90’s have all but faded away.
3. Charli XCX – Boom Clap
+ Little known fact: Charli offered this song to Hilary Duff’s management who turned it down. Thank god they did. She ended up recording it herself for The Fault In Our Stars soundtrack. This saccharin earworm has such a catchy hook it’s hard to not get swept up in it’s teenage poetics. Charli has made quite a name for herself in the past year being featured on other tracks. I can only home her popularity grows with her upcoming third album.
2. Allie X – Prime
+ “Prime”, like many of my favorite songs of the year, comes from an upcoming artist. Allie X is a pop monster. All of her only 3 songs have a distinctly different vibe and vocal style. Prime is the avant-garde masterpiece Lady Gaga wished she released on ARTPOP complete with vampy synths and lyrics that make a mockery of current selfie culture.
1. Sia – Chandelier
+ For those that know me, it isn’t hard to guess who would take the number one spot. Sia has affected me in ways few other musicians have. I would have never expected her lead single from “1000 Forms of Fear” to be such a radio-ready pop song. It’s the biggest song she’s ever written so far and one only a few artist’s vocals could handle. While the song may be a dark tale about struggling with alcoholism, the performance is pure beauty.
Let me know your thoughts on the list. If you have a favorite song that isn’t in the list put it in the comments! I hope you might find a new artist that you love for 2015.
5 thoughts on “Top 50 Pop Songs/Singles of 2014 — My First Post!”
If I could add one song to the list it would be Marina & The Diamonds “Happy” which just released today. It’s bliss.
On Point! I totally agree with this list.
[…] artist has been making waves on local radio and on SoundCloud. We featured her as one of our Top 50 Songs of 2014. She infuses her Persian-American roots into a uniquely heady music that is all her own. She has […]
[…] Our blog listed “Heartbreakfree” as one of our top 5 pop songs of last year. I also just heard it on the radio at a random grocery store in LA. Did you ever think the song […]
[…] Sey was on our top 50 songs of 2014 list. The Swedish songstress continues to impress with this week’s release of […]